I am very glad that you have put this in, Max.
I also get very annoted by the untimeliness of most telephone sales calls, but I am acutely aware that the person on the other end of the line is almost certainly doing the work because it is the only work available to him/her at that partu=icular time and place, and that they do not (as a rule) particularly enjoy it.
It is very easy to be nasty to them, especially if they have interrupted your favourite programme, and even more so if they are "not so nimble witted" as we are. I find that the kindest and easiest way to deal with unwanted sales calls is to say, firmly but without heat or rancour, "No, thank you, I am not interested." Over here, thank goodness, that is usually enough for them to say good-bye, but if they try to persist, I then just replace the phone on the hook. End of problem.
I just feel that nothing is gained by being gratuitously rude or even to take the rise out of people who are trying to earn a living in this grossly capitalist society. If you don't like the system, come and join me on the barricades!!

(BTW - How many folk musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
5 - one to change the bulb, four to sing about the old one.)