...the Alphabet one. What about the other two letters?

Remember, caradea, this is 1829...you have to think in the context of the times historically and linguistically.
I won't edit to modernize because I think there's knowledge to be gleaned from the original intent. The number of letters in the alphabet has fluctuated throughout the history of the English language...though I didn't think there was a difference as recently as 1829. But evidently the letters U and J were not yet added when this riddle couplet was composed. And I was thinking of posting tsuwmn myself to ask him if he knows why on earth they would say the word alphabet had four syllables!? Did alphabet ever have, or was it ever pronounced with four syllables? Was it, perhaps, originally alphabeta? (of course, a confusing aberration like that had to be changed to "three" syllables...I probably wouldn't have chosen to post it if I caught it straight out) But I think it's neat that we can toy with these period puzzlers and have their perusal trigger some sound linguistic and historical discourse as well!

P.S. I just checked the dictionary and found this: alphabet....ME alphabete. So there we are! I'll be damned!