Brandon! How'd you get inside my head?
Thank you, though, for clarifying for me what thought-processes I do go through. I've been trying and trying to come up with an answer for Sparteye (tremendous post, by the way, Dear!), and couldn't decide where to start. I do both of the things you mentioned, though my
speeding-up isn't always intentional. I generally try to formulate my thoughts and choose my words before speaking, mostly so as not to appear to be an even bigger fool than necessary, but sometimes it is because I have a specific purpose: not hurting someone's feelings, for ex. The only thing I can think of right now when I deliberately speed up the process is when a friend asks me for another friend's phone number: if I don't know it right away, I'll picture the telephone keypad and my "ghostly" hand dialing.
Interestingly, when I get excited (that happens a lot), my
thoughts go into kind of a hyper-drive: my mouth cannot keep up, nor can I form words in my brain--just pictures, usually of the event and/or the person I want to tell. I could see this happening to my son one day when he was about three. He didn't even have much understanding of his own emotions yet, let alone the vocabulary to convey them well. I am afraid I exploded with laughter the day when, after I denied his request, he simmered and simmered, then
said, "you...you...meaniac!" That has become a joke word in our family!