as a technical trainer-- i have to lead people into new applications.. --which is change.. some people like change, some dislike it.. but even people who like change, don't like when it is forced on them. (an example, some people hate to change jobs, other people are always "jumping" to new positions, but no one like to be let go, layed off or fired.)

So i have to help people like something (against their better nature.. ) Yes, Dr. bill you had some freedoms that don't exist today-- but today's kids have freedom you didn't have. We've had Jazzo & Jim the dog, and other youngsters visit and contribute to this board-- Did you have the freedom to meet and converse with doctors, lawyers, educators, and other profressionals from all over the world (as an equal!) when you where in HS? This is a wonderful freedom! things have changed, and in someways, children do lead more restrictive lives.. but in other ways, new worlds have opened..

Economics plays a part -- all of us do not have the same opportunites.. but I love that i have friends (who i might never meet) in India, and indoneasia, europe, down under and all over these United states... i can afford to travel -- but not as much as i would like-- but i do feel like i travel a bit every day..

and when i do really travel-- it is much easier to do than it was when you were young.. I went to ireland as child in 1960- it was an eight hour flight-- but just 15 years before, when my parents immigrated.. it was still such a big deal, my father thought he'd never go back-- and my children have been to japan-- my daughter flying by herself--aged 17. How long a trip would that have been in your childhood? (14 hours, non stop ny to narita) could you imagine going? on your own? -- no it's not usual-- but it's not unusual either... economics dictates that some of us can only travel by that sturdiest of frigates, a book, but many contributors here have covered half the globe (and CK is currently in the process of covering 2/3's!)

Nowdays, a small town is connected to the world..Freedom is not lost, it is changed..
(embrace change!)