Brandon, i think that is a perfect example of a NYer's reaction.. but i am not sure it would hold true for NYer's not from NY, NY. we are a special breed--

AnnaS is not a native, and has lived here-- and i am sure she could point out some on NY, NYer's habits even better than i could-- since i have lived here all my life, and just think some things are normal-- like 24 hour dinner (and as NY rule, dinner are owned by Greeks, 24 delis by Korean, daytime sandwich shops Chinese or Jewish, 24 hour gas stations, Turks) and 24 hour mass transit.. and 24 hour traffic jams-- It not uncommon to find a 20 minute delay getting onto say the 59th Street bridge at 10 PM on a weekday..jaywalking-- eating from street venders (and having a wide range ethnic foods being offered from street vendors-- local mix includes hot dogs and knishes, or falafal, or fruit smoothies, or baked (white or sweet) potatoes.. else where you can get Worst, or BBQ, or rice and beans.. )

NYer's also have localize names for lots of things-- just to drive visitors crazy-- like i take the IRT to work but i could take the IND-- and if you look on NYC subway maps-- there is no reference to IRT, IND or BMT-- (technically, these terms became obsolete 50 years ago..) but NYer's still use them.. most map makers are now smart enought to add (6th Ave) to The Avenue of the Americas-- a street name that is only used by out of towners...and the post office.

There is also a code about soldier on horses and statues.. if the horse has all four feet on the ground-- the soldier did not die in battle or related to battle -- One foot off the ground-- the soldier died of wounds related to battle (even if years later..) and two feet off the ground, the soldier died in battle..

and its not just southern who make the comment about "making the lady walk"..