war is brutal-- and many die.. I don't think most soldiers start out with the intent to "slaughter" the enemy-- and its sad that, at times that is what happens.

I don't think Washington or troops where out for revenge.. rather, war was waged because the value system of the people living in the American states had changed.. we no longer saw ourselves as "english-- living in the America's" but rather as New Yorkers, or Virginians.. The revolution war change a political situation that existed -- and allowed people in the america's to establish a government that suited their needs.. (of course Washington was very glad of the succes of the battle at trenton, not only for morale-- but for the food and supplies the troops claimed as spoils of war.)

Shelby Foote said one major impact of the civil war to change us again-- we went from being citizens of a state-- (new yorkers) to being citizens of the United States of America (americans) In language "These United States" (a conglomerate) became "The United States" a single enity. (Lee was offered the change to head the Union army-- but passed, as he saw himself as first a citizen of Virginia..)

and as for taking off for christmas-- yes, they did-- the English did it because they thought it civilized, Jackson did it as he awaited supplies and ammunition.. (even the song makes comment on "running out of cannon" )Jackson spent Christmas at an Ursaline convent.. (the people of New Orleans where not to sure about him.. and he wasn't, before the desisive victory to well liked.)
When the song about the battle of New orleans became popular-- i was in elementary school-- and the local ursuline nuns where still proud of the part the ursulines had played in the battle!-- our school had serveral copies of a children's history book about the battle.(the convent where jackson spent christmas was Our Lady of Prompt Succor.}