Sweet Avy, and all--
Yes, it is terrifying, thinking of all the people who will read your words, though I seem to have adjusted to it. (It sure was there, in the beginning--this was and is the only place on the internet where I interact with people, so I had no idea of what to expect.)
But this board, by and large, has evolved to be a pretty safe place to be--most of the time. And it seems that, when discourtesy surfaces, that usually someone comes along with salve for the wound.
As we have said before, this medium does make it even more difficult to assess a speaker's intent than when you can see them or at least hear their voice. It is wonderful, how almost everyone takes special pains to explain that their intent is not to cause offense. Though, just as with
face to face interaction, that can happen. For example, I might offer what I believe someone might be glad to learn, and find that they think I am telling them they were stupid not to have known that.
So far, the majority seem willing to first assume the best, not the worst, and have been (as far as I know) mostly proven right, when they check.
Again--my wholehearted admiration for the bravery of those participants whose first language is not English. Kudos.
I wish I had some of that courage.