Dear Rapunzel: I use them too often without noticing it in time to be qualified to police them. But one of the reasons slang keeps changing is that people get tired of old phrases. I despise just as many of the new ones as of the old ones. One of the things about clichés that is particularly annoying is to see them used by someone who obviously got the meaning wrong. Which reminds me of something that might amuse you. My wife's favorite grandfather had been a travelling salesman for wire fencing, in the old days when so many of them travelled by train and swapped stories, jokes, and salty expressions. He was definitely henpecked, and his revenge was to teach his wife and daughter some of the salty expressions by using them, but not making clear the naughty side of them. He would get a chuckle out of hearing them repeat them to their extra proper friends, who would also copy them.
I had to explain a couple of them to my wife, to prevent her from having some of her friends think she was too free with unsuitable expression. One of our proper ladies on the board used one of them, and was horrified when I sent her a private message telling her what it really meant. We have to be careful what we copy.
Good to see your posts, better to see more of them Love, Uncle (reprobate) Bill