Sparteye-- how is done in Michigan-- Is Anne Arbor more important (vs Kalamazoo?) or is MSU-- (as in MSU at anne arbor... ?

Ack!!! Blech!!!! Never shall the hallowed and beautious Michigan State sully itself through location in [I shutter as I type this] Ann Arbor.

There is no overarching "Michigan University system." Several state universities in Michigan are created in the Michigan Constitution and have independently elected governing boards. Both Michigan State, located in East Lansing, and Michigan, located in Ann Arbor, are such universities. The main - and until very recently, only - campuses are in EL and AA, respectively. Any other embodiments, like Michigan's Dearborn campus, are barely acknowledged outside their immediate area, and so when someone refers to Michigan State or Michigan, only the EL or AA campus is understood.

Other division I schools in Michigan are: Western Michigan (WMU), Eastern Michigan (EMU), Central Michigan (CMU), [we're consistent, if not creative] Oakland, and Detroit (UD). There are many others, but they don't count because they don't play division I basketball.