I'll wait to hear if rokok is from the dutch-- but it wouldn't surprise me-- after all the dutch east india company had colonies in indonesia.. the first time i ever had indonesian food was in Amsterdam.

i love it– i convinced some work mate to eat at an indonesian place– they had some simple stuff-- i had a "chili" made with anchovies.. little dried anchovies.. complete with their heads.. and delicately used my chop sticks to pick up a little head (the best part, the bones are crunchiest) complete with eye balls.. No one wants to eat there again (at least not with me)..

actually-- all the food was interesting-- but some of the translations sounded very un appetizing .. Instead of "tripe" they had-- "Stewed cow stomach" and instead of Chitlins (or chitterlings) they had "Pig intestine" and the dish i had-- anchovies in a chili pepper sause-- i would never thing to call "chili". A rose by any other name might smell as sweet--but food names do conjure up certain images-- and some are less appetizing!