Thanks to one of my wife's strange notions of interior decoration we were, at one time, the only people I ever heard of who had a living room with a sofa and a love seat but no chairs.

If that's strange, I'm positively bizarre. The TV area of our rec room as a sofa and a loveseat, but no chairs. The living room has a loveseat and chairs, but no sofa. The library has a loveseat and chairs, but no sofa. The garden room has a settee and no chairs, sofas or loveseats. The sun room has chairs, but no loveseats, sofas or settees.

The family room has (TADA!) a sofa and chairs, but no loveseat. I'm thinking that this is the official configuration?

Remotely tying this in with language - let's discuss decorative terms.

The exterior of my house is traditional Tudor, and the interior is traditional traditional. The dining room is Queen Anne, but the living room is closer to French Traditional, while most of the rest of the house is Eclectic. I have a friend who built a Craftsman house, and has furnished it in that style as well.

Jackie: I know that you have a split-level house. Let me guess: American colonial-influenced interior?