Jazz, my sincere congratulations. By now I hope you realize the affection, indeed, love, that so many of us have for you. Most of us on this board are at least mature, some of us getting a bit over-mature, and it's a real delight to have a young man to join us. One of the great things about this forum is that we respect the right of all to their opinions, whether linguistic, cultural or political, however much they may differ from our own. I hope you will keep this spirit of toleration for the views of others as a guiding principle for your future life and conduct. Without it, you become another narrow-minded ideologue, forever incapable of learning anything but what you don't already agree with.

On the practical level, I echo the advice given by more than one of our community -- don't lock yourself in prematurely in your choice of subjects, classes or major. Try different fields, languages, areas -- never be afraid of being labelled a dilettante; you can't have too diverse an experience. But if you discover a passion for some subject or area, go for it; you won't be able to stop yourself anyway.

Lastly, you asked for some poetic inspiration or advice. As man to man, I think you will appreciate, and be able to apply, Tennyson's retelling of the oath the Round Table Knights swore:

I made them lay their hands in mine and swear
To reverence the King, as if he were
Their conscience, and their conscience as their King,
To break the heathen and uphold the Christ,
To ride abroad redressing human wrongs,
To speak no slander, no, nor listen to it,
To honour his own word as if his God's,
To lead sweet lives in purest chastity
Not only to keep down the base in man,
But teach high thought, and amiable words
And courtliness, and the desire of fame,
And love of truth, and all that makes a man.

from Idylls of the King