For the younger members of the Board, Kilroy was that World War II cartoon that turned up everywhere and where least expected!
A book with the title "Kilroy Was Here" has been written by newsman/commentator Charles Osgood who also hosts the popular US TV program "Sunday Morning" on CBS.
The book is about humor arising out of WWII.
Osgood was on TV this morning. He told the story of the "Kilroy" phenomena. Seems the saying and its accompanying cartoon have UK/US roots.
Osgood said he had investigated the MANY versions of how Kilroy started and is convinced the following is the real story:
James Kilroy was an inspector at the Quincy Massachusetts shipyard. When he inspected a part of the ship, instead of merely checking it with a piece of chalk, he would confirm the part had been inspected by writing "Kilroy was here" in crayon. Months later when someone else went to that area of the ship -- where supposedly nobody had ever been -- there were the words. If you Google you'll find a variety of storieds about it's origin. Since I was told the same story by my Dad as Osgood believes, I tend to go with thier version (Dad was in the News Biz here in New England)
The saying was married to a cartoon from England call "Chad" and the cartoon and saying turned up everywhere across the world ... and without a bit of advertising ... just a spontaneous things by the troops. The cartoon was very easy to draw : a domed head and long nose peeking over a fence (wish I could put it in here.)
Do any WWII vets you know have a "Kilroy" story?
There is a story that even troops storming a beach would find Kilroy had been there first!
Osgood said he ws surprised to discover there were very, very few books about the humor that came out of WWII.
That's all, folks!
wow