Also a truly wonderful word that I miss since I left Yorkshire is 'ginnel'. This refers to the kind of alleyway left between gardens in housing estates that allows you to get from one streeet to the next on foot more quickly than the circuitous route a car driver would have to take.

These are paved in Western (and probably other parts of) Canada and I call them people-paths. I got that one from an old friend.

I was suprised to realize that Street and Avenue don't seem to have the same geometrical connotation everywhere. In a "typical" Canadian city (i.e. not St. John's), Streets run north-south and Avenues run east-west, and both are approximately the same size. Like Rouspeteur said, you can easily tell where someone lives by the number, even if you've never been to the city before. However, it doens't apply in St. John's. We live at a corner of two Streets. My father (a land surveyor) would be greatly displeased.

Some other good ones are "Bay" (a U-shaped residential street), "Extension" (my friend lives on Howley Avenue Extension - not to be confused with Howley Avenue itself). There are lots of hills in St. John's, my favourite being "Hill O'Chips" (I kid you not!).

And "Trails" are the main roads in Calgary, Alberta. Others would call them freeways, I guess, but in Calgary you have Deerfoot Trail (fondly called just "the Deerfoot"), Sarcee Trail, Bow Bottom Trail, Barlow Trail, Blackfoot Trail, Glenmore Trail, and more...all multi-lane divided hellish roads. Calgary's other problem is the aforementioned theme neighbourhoods. There are neighbourhoods where the main word is all the same, and the streets only differ in whether they're "street", "Bay", "Court", "Close", "Boulevard", and so on. ARGH. My parents live in a neighbourhood where all the street names start with "Can".