I came across this wonderful word in Michael Quinion's World Wide Words whilst searching unsuccessfully for the origin of a lick and a promise. I am putting it here partly because this category has been underused lately, and also, though I don't do this with serious intent, I think it is fun to do this just to see what you come up with:

"RHAPSODOMANCY

The seeking of guidance through the chance selection
of a passage in literature.

This term goes back to the ancient Greeks, in which verses uttered by the oracles were transcribed for random consultation in the sybilline books, or in which a phrase from one of the poets was picked on for guidance. Another example is the I Ching, an ancient book of wisdom in which hexagrams are consulted according to a random sequence that is generated by throwing sticks. Rhapsodomancy comes from the Greek rhapsoidos, someone who recites epic poems, particularly the Homeric odes; its roots are rhaptein, 'to sew together; stitch' and oide, 'song' (the source of our word ode), so such a person was a 'weaver of songs'. It is closely related to our rhapsody, which originally meant a section of an epic poem suitable for reading at one time, but which later took on the modern sense of some exaggeratedly enthusiastic or self-indulgently effusive piece of writing or music."

World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion, 1996-. All rights reserved.
Page created 1 August 1998.