In the sixties Hi-Fi's (High Fidelity for you's young'ins) had a "rumble" knob which controlled different parts of the lower(HZ)frequencies (depending on manufacturer). If I remember correctly, it wasn't a cut in low frequencies, it was a built in low frequency amplifier that gave you an extra boost, which "sympathetically" made your speakers rumble (and blew them out if you weren't careful).

OSHA has very specific rules for repetitive exposure to loud sounds for that very reason. An 8 hour average exposure to more than 85db will require ear plug use. I used my db meter to test something for us to compare that we may all understand, and I came up with 86 db standing right next to my home forced air furnace.

I'll bet they peak somwhere close to the threshold of pain (120db)... but then again, I've heard pleasure described that way often enough...

WOW - I use an arrangers term, used to desribe a lot of emphasis on a single frequency, or a lot of instruments playing the same note... "weight".