maverick, that settles it: you are our official genius-in-residence.

I have grown in a few short months to count some real fellow feelings and friendships here, and would not willingly lose one single voice – nor lose a single post to deletion.

FWIW, my personal opinions in this ongoing debate:
I have no interest in discussions robbed, on principle, of humour; this would be like fire without oxygen.
I have no interest in either vulgar or prurient discussions unless the blade of humour is flickering wickedly sharp around the campfire.
I recognise my sense of humour may differ from others, and if caused offence is noted, will always try to moderate accordingly.
I am at varying times equally interested in serious and frivolous matters, and particularly enjoy it when these are discussed with a sharp mind, a feeling heart, and above all an obvious love of language.
I recognise that others’ take on these and other matters will be different, and will try to quietly pass these by, unless they so offend a deep-seated part of my mind as to force a moral betrayal by so doing. Oh, but maybe sometimes a little wicked tease, too

Exactly, lovely mav, exactly!