In my own defense, I would like to point out that, by in large, my posts are not gratuitous. For example, my segue to the largest fungus was to one on the Michigan peninsula and which was once thought to be the worlds largest. That fungus is a "fairy circle" and the segue was from "pixy" from which the word of that day, "pixilated" comes.

I have introduced topics which, while they do not belong to the field of linguistics, are central to philosophic thought on language and, therefor belong on this board. At least as I have understood it. And I have engaged in, and attempted to extend, discussions whose topic no one could argue was not linguistics.

The odd press thread was meant to give examples of the odd usages and errors that creep up in the press and which were the topic, at one point, of another thread. I interrupted that thread with nonce words because, as a new comer, I misunderstood the thread's heading.

My reference to the Cheshire Cat was meant to draw attention to the literally fantastic logical constructions underlying Carroll's masterpiece. I believe it is this underlying sense which lends all the magic to his work. If my definition of "isis" was tortured, it was at worst a poor parody of academic writing--and, thus, also language related.

Wit, in general, is essential to language. To my mind ouble entendres and the like only draw from the depths of language. I can't apologize if some don't care for my sense of humor, although I *am* sorry they don't. Little of it, however, is gratuitous.

Finally, as to the quality of posts, I would like to point out that I actually attempted to give the very sort of shoulder tap that Max spoke of in his truly charming way. The post immediately following the first "tatas" post was mine. I wrote "Oy." I did not mean to offend anyone, but I did mean to voice my disapproval.

Unfortunately, I later fell victim to the same trap. I have deleted that post.

If I have caused certain cherished members of this board to leave it, that has certainly not been my intention and I regret their response.

If my approach is somewhat eccentric--as today's word directly suggests--it is meant to be collegial.

IP