Sparteye wrote :I think you will find that "cutlery" refers to knives

Yes, Sparteye is "spot on" cutlery is used for the kitchen knives, forks, etc. although the word is not in general circulation, so to speak. It is a phrase used mostly by professional cooks, chefs that ilk.

Silverware is in general use in NE US meaning the knives, forks, spoons that are used for any meal even if the "silverware" is stainless steel, pewter or even the plastic-ware you get with fast food or at picnics.
In the early decades of the 1900s brides often received sterling silver table service either in "place settings" or as single pieces such as cake knives, demitasse spoons, sugar shells, trays, sugar and cream servers ....on and on.
I think the practice changed when the price of sterling went through the roof in the late 1970s and stainless steel in handsome patterns became more popular and affordable.
There is actually a difference in the size of dinner knives, forks, spoons and luncheon size knives, forks, spoons. But I digress (Sorry) ...
When my children were young I had what we called "kitchen silverware" for everyday meals and the "real" (meaning the sterling or very good silver plate) silverware was pulled out, polished and used for special occasions and holidays.
"Ware" has seven entries in my SOED and one meaning is an article of merchandise so I'd guess silverware as a combined word has some interesting history.
wow