Wow! Thank you for the detailed explanation of how to pronounce Mr Mohandas' family name. I was staggered to learn that there could be anybody anywhere who spelled it any way other than Gandhi. I was also suprised to learn that "Gujerat" even existed as a spelling for the state I have only ever known as Gujarat. I grew up with neighbours whose origins were from Gujarat (adj. Gujarathi?), and have never seen the state or the language spelled any other way. Is there any chance you could record the correct pronunciation of Gandhi, and upload it to AWADabilia to demonstrate your excellent summary?

On the whole issue of spelling personal names, and endeavouring to emulate orignal-language pronunciation as closely as possible, I am entirely on your side. My own real name is forever being mispelled as people choose the more common of two spelling options, and I hate it. I also regard it nothing more than basic common courtesy to try to pronounce someone's name the way they do, to the best of my ability. I have found that asking for assistance in doing this can be a great way to build a rapport, and the pleasure it gives the other person is well worth the minimal effort involved. Continue to fight the good fight, my friend, I for one would join you in the trenches on this. I just hope that you are more successful than the boys from White Hart Lane were: 2-0
Sorry, couldn't resist!