Meat tenderizer

We used Adolph's, which contains, I believe, papain, as I noted in the post which started this tentacle on the original post. That was in the mid-70's, but I know Adolphs is older than that, but don't know how old. Of course, we would not dream of using Adolphs on a steak, since it tends to give it a mushy consistency even if it does make it more tender.

And while I'm on the subject, another story.

I had a young woman work for me some years ago who had previously been employed as a secretary by a lawyer who specialized in tort cases. One of the reasons she was no longer working for the lawyer was her difficulty with the English language. As an instance of this, she noted the time she wrote up a brief in which the complainant was suing a furniture store. As she wrote it, the plaintiff bought a new mattress and spring which, when they were delivered, he duly installed on his bed. The first time he and his wife slept on it, they did not find it entirely comfortable. His wife suggested they take off their pajamas, which they did, but no help. He then began to wonder if it was the mattress or the spring which was the problem, so he suggested they take off the mattress and look at the spring. While doing so, he got excited looking at his wife's breasts as they were heaving the mattress about, so he grabbed her and got her down on the bare springs. They were enjoying themselves greatly, when "HE GOT HIS TENTACLES COUGHT IN THE SPRING" and injured himself badly.