To Bridget (Cara Dea) and others - - AWADers, much more likely than many others, are very aware of words and hence are often keen on proof-reading, though fondly forgiving, within the friendly intimacy of the Board, of errors of our colleagues. This topic provides an opportunity to make the stronest recommendation to all of you about a MUST-READ book. It has a wonderful chapter on proof-reading and the incurable condition of those of us (as this topic evidences)whose eyes are automatically riveted to errors, egregious or nominal, on the printed page.
The book is EX LIBRIS, Confessions of a Common Reader, by Anne Fadiman (Clifton Fadiman's daughter, I would mention, just as I would note that Joanna Trollope is Antony's lineal descendant, with due credit to all!) It is so easy to make a careless recommendation of a book, but this one is special, esp for this audience. AWADers, I'm beginning to think I know a bit about some of you - by your posts, you are known) This book is for you! Has anyone read it? Anyone know it? Agree w/ me? Comments? Here endth my rant for the day.