i posted something to this effect in Miscellany yesterday, then realized it would be more appropriate here. with tsuwm's help (Thanks, tsuwm!) i deleted it without a trace, and didn't bother reposting it, figuring nobody'd be the wiser. i wasn't aware that i was deleting it, somebody was trying to reply, so here it is, nancyK:

I received an invitation to a baby christening today, with this intriguing addendum:

O'doerves and appetizers will be served

had it been a St Paddy's day gathering, i would've been amused by the pun (discounting the transposition of the r and the v as a typo), but this christening is scheduled for april.

it reminded me of something i'd been meaning to ask you, my AWAD friends: Are any of you cursed with the tendancy to find typos everywhere you look? i'm the last one to comment on someone's typing skills, as i rarely use spell check myself in forums such as these. i'm referring, rather, to written media such as magazine advertisements, billboards, contracts, product warranties, etc., which i believe can and should be held to a higher standard. i don't look for the typos, but it's almost as if they were written in BOLD, by the way they seem to jump off of the pages. i have to bite my tongue in restaurants to keep from pointing out the inevitable errors to my husband, who (after ten years) no longer finds my hobby amusing. (OTOH, some of my friends who are similarly afflicted report that they like to make a game of it).

anyone relate? or is it just me?

~b