Your memory is actually very good, Shanks. I did mention in my first post on heraldic colors the word "tincture", which is the technical overall term for what are commonly regarded as colors. As you note, the tinctures are: the 2 metals, argent and or; the colours, azure, gules, sable, vert, tenne and murrey; and the furs, ermine, vair, counter ermine, counter vair and two other very rare variants whose names escape me without looking them up.

Besides this, certain terms/names have tinctures built in. The heraldic beast called a wyvern is always vert. Then there are the variations of roundels. A roundel is a charge (thing superimposed on a shield) which looks like a ball, and they can be of any tincture, and they have different names depending on the tincture, so that the tincture is not stated. A "fountain" is a roundel which is white with zigzag blue lines (argent, barry-wavy azure). If I remember correctly, a pellet is sable. Then there are the gouttes, which are charges which look like a teardrop, and, like roundels, have different names depending on their tinctures; gouttes de larmes are argent; gouttes d'huile are vert.

Nicholas has correctly stated the meaning of "proper" and noted the difference between a heraldic animal and a real animal. The lions passant gardant or (yellow, walking on all fours towards the dexter side of the shield [the left side as we see it] but with the head turned to look directly at the viewer) which are part of the Royal coat of arms, have a conventional form, not really very much like a real lion. Interestingly, like other male animals, they are supposed to be depicted with the suggestion of a male member, and usually are so depicted.