And that leads me to a rant on the blue colors. It seems that no one anymore knows that there is a color called violet, which is not the same as purple. At least 95% of the time, when people say/write 'purple' they really mean 'violet' or some shade of violet, like lavender or lilac

I think part of it is because names for colors aren't as nailed down as we'd like to think. If you go hunting for art supplies, you'll find out that truth rather quickly. Heck, go try and buy a can of house paint!

Every child that goes to school has classes in the reading and writing of a language, but not nearly so many take classes that go into the classification and composition of color. Even then, it's a confused subject. It's why any smart artist has a look at a proof of a print, before it goes into production, because your idea of "cobalt blue", and the printer's idea of "cobalt blue" isn't necessarily the same. Right and wrong doesn't come into it.

I could rant a good while on art and colors, but I think I'll spare the people reading this thread, this time.

I checked my books for "pink", but in art they have more to say about how to make colors, than why they're called that.

Ali