I can help out a bit with Army ranks.
Enlisted : private, private first class (PFC) corporal, sergeant, staff sergeant, master sergeant (and in recent years although I may be missing one) senior master sergeant and chief senior master sergeant.
I think Warrant Officer comes in here. Men have a warrant rather than an officer's commission and are called Mister.
Commissioned officers : 2nd Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, captain, Major, Lt. Colonel, Colonel, General, Brigadier General, Lt. General, Four Star General and then the special recognition starting in WWII given to a very few (i.e. Eisenhower, Marshall, McArthur etc) Five Star General.
I think that's right! Maybe someone can help us out.
By the way Command rank is a big step and comes between Capt and Major.
full Colonels are called "Bird Colonels" to distinguish them from Lt. Colonels. The insignia changes from a gold leaf to an eagle.
There's a series of books by W. E. B. Griffin each titled with an officer's rank The Lietenants, The Captains, etc...up through the ranks. Good stories. A group of recurring core characters in each book along with new peole.
Highly recommend.
"The Lieutenants" starts a bit slow but gets good fast. I caught on to them when they came out in paperback and would buy the next in series to have on hand in case I finished one and had time to go on!
He also writes about the Marine Corps and has a cop series too. Can't wait for his next one.
Like him much better than Clancy except for Clancy's "Red October" and "Patriot Games" which is a much better book than it was a movie.
wow