Originally Posted By: BranShea
**Ha! example!!! Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students is no longer able to write correct Dutch.= correct

Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students are no longer able to write correct Dutch. = incorrect

If the first sentence is correct, then why does the second sentence sound better to me?

I think the answer is because the English I speak differs from Standard English in this respect. In Standard English, the verb agrees with the subject. In my English, if there is a lot of material between the subject and the verb, the verb sometimes agrees with the closest noun. This is called the principle of proximity. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage says
Quote:
Proximity agreement may pass in speech and other forms of unplanned discourse; in print it will be considered an error.

But this does not mean that I don't know the grammar of my native language. It means that I have to learn the grammar of another language, the grammar of Standard English. The same thing goes for those Dutch children who have to learn Standard Dutch.

Last edited by goofy; 10/21/11 02:04 PM.