First of all, hello everyone, I know it has been some time.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is that I am attempting to understand the word Madam. I was taught, even when attending University and gaining my English Lit. Degree, that the definition and accepted terminology for such was, "a kept woman" or "a woman who runs a brothel/cat house".

Today, now that I currently reside within the "South", I have been informed of an alternate definition. That of, a term of respect. After having to stamp down my ire and indignation, and an interesting argument debate, I made the difficult decision to employ the ever ready and all powerful, internet; where upon I mashed in the word and Merriam Webster Dictionary spewed the following catenated mess at me:

Quote:
plural mes·dames : lady —used without a name as a form of respectful or polite address to a woman
: mistress 1 —used as a title formerly with the given name but now with the surname or especially with a designation of rank or office
: the female head of a house of prostitution
: the female head of a household : wife

I am so confused! Where and how or why did this word evolve to have a dual meaning of both a woman of respect and a woman of social faux pas???

And I shall refrain from mentioning that of Mistress for now.

Rev. Alimae