I think the homogenization of language is a natural process in this age of mass media, and that the ultimate globular language will be a hybrid of all the present tongues (remember, I'm thinking in terms of ages of linguistic evolution here, not years). But, I also think this ultimate prospect, while being good for the strivings of world peace,
also comes with a price as illustrated by the dilution and loss of accents and dialects across the continental United States. I thinks it's kind of sad to see this linquistic variety and diversity fading away due to the influence of the mass media (and, now, what impact is the internet having on this process?). Gone are the broad regional accents...the Boston/New England accent of the Kennedys; the rich Southern drawl and accompanying linguistic imagery which made a 5th grade newcomer from Mississippi (to New Jersey circa 1965) almost incomprehensible to me; the hard-R Western twang, etc. (and if anybody mentions a "Jersey accent" I'll scream...it's a media myth!!) Part of this trend is due to actors and broadcasters being encouraged to "lose" their accents and practice "clear" diction and enunciation...so all these colorful linguistic tapestries are disappearing from the landscape. And, so, I believe that a World Language, following this process, will eventually winnow itself from the multitude of tongues...in short, it will discover, itself. For true believers of a World Community, whatever language helps achieve that goal will be the appropriate tongue...why force the issue? [chat]