Two whole people here actually knew this word, doggone their little ornery hides! They were, however, kind enough to submit red-herring def.'s., and I thank them for that. I had never seen it before--at least not with the y in it--and just fell in love with it! So--

a.) A very rare orchid of the phalareopsis family, having three
petaled flowers with the middle petal enlarged into a lip, and
differing from the others in shape and color. Found chiefly
in the mountain heights of the Philippines. (Luke) Voted for by Faldage

b.) a small but ornately decorated metal disc, to be attached to the glove (gauntlet) protecting the sword-wielding hand (wofa) Voted for by Luke in--I mean and wink --the Buff.

c.) a string instrument where strings are pulled by a built in wheel that is turned by means of a handle. First images date from the 13th century. (Branshea)

d.) A cross between a moonflower and a dandylion, giving a yellow flower that blooms in the night (Bexter) Voted for by Branshea.

e.) Seasoned gay male on the hunt for tender game. A male cougar. (Candy) Voted for by the country Doctor and olly

f.) A large bronze disc with inscribed Linear A characters. (Faldage) Voted for by Bexter (yay, so glad to see you again!).

g.) a loose outer garment worn e.g. by soldiers over their armour (also mandilion) (hist); (with cap) the name of a cloth supposed to bear the imprint of the face of Jesus From the Chambers Giant paperback dictionary, printed in 1996 and reprinted in 1997, 1998, and 2000. Voted for by Candy.

The hogmistress will take the Hogmaster's stated privilege of tallying up any old way she pleases, and thus will award at least five extra votes to E because this has got to be one of the best daffynitions ever submitted to this game!