You have a point of course; misspelling is a major cause, and there is reason to debate whether one should count finger trouble in the same category as a misspelling. That is an open question.

Some of the examples I have in mind are misunderstandings (wrong word, valid but incorrect, or even inappropriate in sense or syntax), some are misremembered utterances, misheard pronunciations, misread typography or orthography, or mangled technical terms, such as Collectotriccem gleespohroides, where the perpetrator meant Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. One that still rankles is the modern acceptance of the generic name Crematogaster, in preference to the less appropriate Cremastogaster. I sweated blood settling that one!

And so very much on. I have been following up the creosote/creosite matter and have found various versions of acceptance and various of sources of error, ranging from the coesite, to a word of uncertain spelling for various grades of chimney soot. Oh, and a respectable publication mentions creosite as a commercial product, a cheaper version of creosote, marketed in Europe during the early decades of the 20th century. Also, remember that if there is no serious basis for wondering whether the term is valid, no special term would be needed; we could simply call it a mistake. Here we mean a putative mistake, with strong grounds for hesitating about pronouncing that it is indeed a mistake.

Oh, and there even appears to some performing group under the name Creosite! I am not sure that I wanted to know that...

I think the whole thing goes beyond spelling, though I certainly include spelling, miss, Ms or Mr, as one factor. In fact I am surprised at the rarity of ghost words, given the sheer scope for meme propagation.If all of them were as difficult to nail down as this one, I am sure that we would have them in droves; we would all be conversing in a creole of permanently propagating verbal novelties.

The things people fash themselves with...!

Jon