Oh what a bit of serendipity! Last week's Economist had a review of a new translation of a book first published in 1769 -- in italian Gesture in Naple and Gestures in Classical Antiquity by Andrea de Jorio -translated by Adam Kendon. indiana University Press $49.95.

Here in NY hand and body gesture are still taken seriously You can give someone a "digital salute" or the bird-- or you can put one fist into the joint of your elbow and raise the other fist up, with knuckles facing out. the meaning is the same. the review illustates a gesture the hand as fist, with the thumb poking out between the index and middle finger -- as the Economist notes-- an sexual insult! I seen it used (but not lately) In fact, i knew 4 of the ten gesture they in review! the meaning are slightly modified..

An open hand, with fingers slightly splayed-- and the thumb touching the index indicates "amore" in the 1769 guide-- but i would read it as "you are beautiful (or sexy-- but not in a slutty way)" Or maybe " i love how you look" and the fingers bunched together, with the thumb touching them- according to the guide "asking" but i read it as "listen" (this last one is commonly used in "italian" movies like the "godfather") and a closed hand with the thumb rubbing against the index finger--(a move similar to "snapping ones fingers" but softer, slower)" money".. just how i would use it or read it.

Of course NY has a large italian population, and my childhood home was only a few blocks from Arther Avenue-- the Little Italy of the Bronx-- but i think all but the first have been seen in movies like the godfather--

and the thumb under the chin, and index finger crooked, pulling on one's chin-- does everyone know that as "just kidding" or "in jest"?