While we're giving Earliest Printed Appearances: In 1940-41 Robert Heinlein wrote, and Astounding SF published, a three-part serial named Sixth Column, reprinted by Signet Books in 1951 as "The Day After Tomorrow," a novel about USA after being conquered by the (thinly-veiled) Japanese, and the remnants of the Army fighting back under the Occupation, masquerading as a religion. Using slang to confound the eavesdropping authorities (who can hear only his end of the conversation), right here on Page 124 of the paperback the Commander says to his staff,

"Look, cherubs--mamma wants baby to go to the nice man. It's all hunkydory as long as baby-bunting carries his nice new rattle. Yea, verily, rattle is the watchword--you don't and they do. Deal this cold deck the way it's stacked and the chopstick laddies are stonkered and discombobulated. The stiff upper lip does it." [emphasis mine]

Which the guy at the other end of the line translates, just in case the reader didn't get it either, "Check me if I'm wrong, Chief. You want the priests to give themselves up, and to rattle the PanAsians by their apparent unconcern. You want them to carry it off the way you did, cool as a cucumber, and bold as brass. I also take it that you want them to hang on to their staffs [clandestine super-weapons], but not to use them unless you tell them to. Is that right?"

"Elementary, my dear Watson."

(And so the rebellion proceeds.)