To begin with, I am upon a new fangled hand-held thing that confuses me, so please ignore any typo's etc, due to the incesent programing that tries to anticipate my wordage.

The other day, Tuesday I believe, I was enjoying a culinary delight within our local gab spot, when I happend to note the over head monitor. The tintalating questons that were posted caught my attention. Namely one in particular; "What three months in the year have only one syllable?"

Needess to say, I could think of only two: May and June. Thus, when the answer revealed the third to be that of March, I was left utterly confused.

And now to explain, as well as pose my question unto our poobah's and other.

I have always pronounced "March" as two syllables. Mar Ch. Yet looking at sites such as Merrium-Websters or my dictionary, New World Dictionay, they show "March" as a single syllable.
Okay, that is odd, I think. So, next I checked to make sure that I understood just what a syllable was. According to what I read, a syllable is denoted by a vowel, and not the actual beat to stress of the actual letters of a word. By this time my mind began to self implode.

My two part question is this:

1.) Is March a one to two syllable word?
2.) If one, how in the, phonetic verse, does a person propperly pronounce it with out giving a two beat or stress upon the two main sections?

Arg!!!!

Thank you for the indulgence and my lack of links. (Growls at her Pandigital)

Rev. Alimae