English is, as we know, a result of mixed linguistic impulses over long periods of time. Old Norse is an easily identifiable one, and also shares older Germanic roots with English. Thus, when I saw the word "maw," as a Norwegian I immediately knew its approximate meaning.

The Old English word "maga" is still current in all the main Scandinavian languages. It is spelled with an 'e' at the end: "mage" (Swedish and Norwegian), "mave" (Danish). It means "stomach, gut" either generally (general non-technical usage) or specifically as the muscular bag near the beginning of the alimentary canal (medical usage). However, to my knowledge it does not connote "mouth" or "throat" in any modern Scandinavian language.

In colloquial Eastern Norwegian the standard Norwegian "mage" is very often pronounced "maga," in both cases with a hard 'g'. Danish pronounciation to my ears is very close to current English spelling, but with two syllables: "mah-wuh." With a hard 'v' something like it is also found in several variants of Norwegian.