I don't think so Jo. I think that values are changing, but it it becoming lower class-- by which i mean, sex is still "dirty", but in lower classes, its not a taboo subject.
[rant]
I do think there still is the victorian/purtian view that sex is dirty-- and middle and upper classes don't speak of it, but its lower classes do. I think most europeans don't think of sex as dirty-- its just an other subject. So, in some european shows, there is nudity that is not neccessarly "sexy"-- some one steps out of a shower, and you see their buttocks-- and then they put on a robe, get dressed, what ever.
In the US, it would be a BIG deal to show someones buttocks, and it would always be the beginning of a sex scene.

Likewise, sex scenes are always "steamy"-- since the whole subject is still slightly taboo-. Even somewhat realistic sit coms about normal married people (I think of "Everyone Loves Raymond" have you seen that?) still try to treat sex between a married couple as "steamy"-- and while it can be, after three children, and two jobs, and life in general, i think for the most part, sex between married couples is pleasurable, comforting, and except for odd vacations, or anniversaries, not steamy. and in Everyone, it "fun" to show the young couple trying to be or find momemts to be "steamy", but Raymonds parents are never shown to have any sex life.. or if it is refered to, it is past tense. "Old couples" can't be steamy, unlike the Britcom--As time goes by, which is about an older couple, who are in love, and do all the things loving couples do.. they are not always presented as "steamy" but are presented as a loving couple..it is not extrordinary that they have sex. That almost never happens on US TV.

Sex in the City in US is a cable show, and in general, all cable shows have "looser rules" (they are not as dependant on advertizing $$'s.)

Through out the US, there is still major opposition to sex educations-- (the thought being if you teach kids about sex, they will want it!) and sex and birth control information. I have no problem in the world teaching abstinence-- i encouraged my children-- but i also taught them, that it was their body-- and their decisions.. and should they chose to act, they should act with knowledge-- and know about sex, (and sexual transmitted diseases) and birth control. When i started giving general information they where in their preteens, by early teen years, i was quite open. My ex though it total irresponsible to teach my children about birthcontrol... they shouldn't have sex was his attitude. (meanwhile, we met when i was 17, and i was living with him by the time we had been going out for 3 months.. so was was good for mommy and daddy was not going to happen to his kids... I really though it stupid!)

I don't know what choices my children made (well i can guess some, since my son lived with his wife for 7 months before they got married) and i really didn't want to know... but i wanted them to make informed choices..

Abortion is still a major issue in this country, and while i think it should exist as a choice, i would much prefer to see all teen (and pre-teens) everywhere educated about sex, and treating it as part of growing up. then teen that want to engage in sex could do so with out needing abortion services. studies show the rate of abortion in US for teens is higher, (as is giving birth) than for most european countries. [/rant]