Now, Bill, THAT's funny - you understand the distinction without knowing what it's all about! You are right on one level - but in this case, the Star Wars mentioned is a movie - well, a 'triology' about a battle between good & evil, as it were - the first one (which was not actually the first one in the triology as I understand it) starred Harrison Ford... but the truth is, I never saw any of them! So, I'm sure someone out there can fill you in on this, better than I can!

What I do find interesting is how these words (from movies like Star Wars and TV shows like Star Trek) creep into our daily vocabulary as if they are real words or we are talking about real people and real events - such as that Vulcan hand gesture (well, it was a real hand gesture, as I mentioned in a previous posting... but it was NOT, as far as we know, first done by Vulcans).

How many of us may talk about the characteristics of a Vulcan or (over here with the weekly showing of the program Star Gate - is it on anywhere else in the world?) discuss the effects of going through the gate or the how it must feel to have another being living in your stomach?!

Is there a thread already started for this type of discussion - that is, how words from science fiction, primarily TV or movies, have become part of our daily vocabulary?

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com