is a virtue. Perfectly reasonable to say, "Well, I've thought about this and I can't make up my mind." or even "I don't have the time to go through this right now, but I really doubt what you're saying."

Of course that's very different from presenting poorly researched factoids as reliable data that one has to spend one's valuable time to refute. "My point that I read from some random guy on the Internet holds until you prove me wrong." (Waste of time, because the challenger isn't going to admit he's wrong anyway, but more importantly, we see the clear disparity in thinking. *YOU* have to absolutely prove everything you claim, but the claims they make stand until they are proven false.)

Also very different from demanding the answer to a question with an implied false assertion. "If we came from monkeys, how come there are still monkeys?"

But, "Really. I don't know." Completely reasonable. OTOH, there is a lot of effort and no small amount of money put into ensuring that we conclude exactly that.

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 08/20/10 02:07 AM.