Thanks! Got your PM.
Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. This was one of the relatively few situations that bumfuzzled me as a Child Protective Services investigator. A parent would look at me, chin cocked belligerently, and say, "Oh, yeah? And just what's wrong with the way I'm raising my kid(s)?" The sort answer would have been, "Change your entire lifestyle", but that would have turned them deaf to any future suggestions by the follow-up worker. I never did come up with a really good response.

improving the skills of participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities. I think probably most of us have been through this; as we begin to study something fairly intricate (even learning to use my computer, for me) we realize we don't even know enough to ask the right questions. I read once where the 70-to-100 flying hours range was the most dangerous because after 70, new pilots think they know it all, and after 100 they realize they don't!