Originally Posted By: BranShea
... money can do positive things in the way of environmental issues. Tax money has helped build installations that cleaned our inland and coastal waters up to the point that we are now able to swim in it again, which was downright disgusting and dangerous in the -70s.

That is one way to solve the problem, but there are others. We accomplished the same result here with a regulatory scheme that imposed stricter and stricter environmental standards over a few decades. The actual work was done with corporate money, and corporations were encouraged to arrive at suitable outcomes, not necessarily to follow government methods. Corporations developed economical ways to reach a large number of the goals set by government, and the effect on consumer prices was barely noticeable. And, we were not taxed, except to fund the regulatory agencies.

Another tool that was used was tax incentives: reduction in corporate taxes for the timely accomplishment of environmental goals. That's even better, in my opinion: it's the right way to deal with people, so why shouldn't it work for corporations?

PS - I like your new avatar. Looks like a polyommatine lycaenid, maybe the genus Polyommatus

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous