Scat, droppings, bowel movement, stool, dung, spoor, frass (specialized and uncommon), turd, etc. are neither "dysphemistic, euphemistic, formal, childish [n]or medical." Nor are they inherently humorous, self-conscious, or evasive. "Stool" and "feces" have acquired a medical denotation, but only because those are the words used in the medical field, and there is little casual conversation on the subject elsewhere. I think the elderly, when talking to friends or family, use "bowel movement" most commonly (at least in my experience.) Technically, this phrase refers to the act rather than the product, but it has come to mean the product as well - much the same as one would say that one has made a "drawing" or a "painting." "Poop" seems to be the word currently used by the media, but the media hardly govern interpersonal speech.

Droppings are not treated any differently in conversation than other bodily products - we don't refer to spittle, ear wax, nasal mucus, vaginal secretions, pus, urine, or any other exudate (with the notable exceptions of perspiration and lacrimal secretions - tears) without at least a vague sense of unease, so perhaps we should organize projects to celebrate these items, as well.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous