I'm intrigued by the variety of responses to my ringer-spiel about "starets"!
1. From CarpalTunnel Faldage: "Welcome to the mad house." Thank you for that!
2. From Journeyman Goofy: "The belief that we must look to another language to     discover how to use English words is known as the etymological fallacy." Now
that helps me see in better proportion why "starets" is a ringer: no matter how     many CarpalTunnel types like zmjezhd have found that word while reading     Russian History, or how many of their dictionaries may show that word, starets     to ME remains a ringer because I don't believe people can use it.  If you work it     into a conversation, a listener will say, "Star-WHAT?", and you've lost him.
3. From Enthusiast Beck123: "We agreed among ourselves centuries ago to     communicate in a language not burdened with ... declensions and such, so     why are we occasionally fixated with these in Modern English?" EXACTLY the     right question, and posed more eloquently than my ranting about RINGERS.
4. From Stranger Chuckledore: Of course zmjezhd is right that STARETS appears     in archival tomes like the OED, and I misspoke when I put to CarpalTunnel     types the question, "WHO has even heard of this silly word?"... I should have
    asked, "WHO of you has ever USED this word?" You'll excuse me; I should     have told you where I'm coming from! HINT: I just counted the number of     Russian dictionaries on the wall to the right of my MacPro: there are 68. I am
an interpreter/translator (E-R and R-E). In my work, I focus on IDEAS, not
words (in interpreting one has no time for words: you hear and see pictures     and ideas: one paragraph is one idea). You REJECT words that your     experience says will be trouble-makers: If I hear "starets" in Russian, I'll likely     render it as "spiritual advisor", though it'll depend on context..... but I     CERTAINLY won't come up with the supposedly English word "starets" because     it's a damned ringer and I'll get glared at. Interpreters are supposed to be     essentially invisible; we may never ever attract attention to ourselves: we must     remain demure and shy, inconspicuously filtering out RINGERS while rushing     to finish the paragraph . . . and avoid getting glared at. Thus I will predictably
    get into more and more trouble with CarpalTunnel types, assuming I do not
first get ejected from this company for myself being too much of a ringer . . .

Chuckledore (technically a "stranger", but while I'm strange, I don't
really feel like a stranger here. . .)