Originally Posted By: JRS
Anu Garg wrote, "The word religion derives from Latin ligare (to tie or to bind, as in 'ligament'), but it best serves as a tool to divide people."

I found your quote to be highly inappropriate and a blatant misuse of the Wordsmith venue now used to communicate your brazenly obvious position on religion. I am not a religious person, I have found relationship with Jesus and Christian-centered spirituality. However, your lack of respect is offensive to countless thousands who can now choose to pray for you.

I find your reply and the one opening this thread quite interesting... and also a blatant proof of what Anu wrote (I'm not sure whether those are his words & thoughts or if he just quoted someone).

First, you centralise on your Faith and religion whereas Anu points to the fact that there are (and have been) so many different religions that they did divide mankind.
Second, I believe there is a difference between one's faith, a (any) religion and a (one out of so many) church... and then there are the many sects within religions.

Each, of course, claiming to be Right, to have found the absolute and unique Truth. Each proclaiming that all the others have to abandon their (faith, beliefs ?) and join-in...

And last... Please give the entire quote...

Anu Garg wrote:
Quote:
"The word religion derives from Latin ligare (to tie or to bind, as in 'ligament'), but it best serves as a tool to divide people.
My religion is better than yours. My god true, yours false. What, we have the same religion? No problem, my sect is better than yours.
"

It is (may be) his opinion, and he has every right to hold it.
I happen to share his view, but I don't mind if many don't.

And by the way... more things separate us...
I don't share your faith, I am not a Christian (though I respect their point of view), and I don't feel the need to advocate my faith or force my beliefs upon others.

One thing unites us (in French "relier", has most probably a relation to "religion")... we like words.
And your post also moved me to join on this forum and express my point of view instead of remaining passive.

Have a nice day
Serge

PS: my apologies to all the readers who feel that this subject didn't deserve an answer (they're probably right) and to all those who feel that we shouldn't discuss Religion on this forum (you're most definitely right).