How do you get from a mountain to a thief?!?

Because of iron age hill forts becoming boroughs. The word burglar ...

[While editing this to fix the HTML problem, I lost most of the post. Ah, well, maybe later I can fix it ...]

Before getting into the commute, here's the short version. The word burglar is from a Medieval Latin word burgulator. The first part of which is from Old English burh 'castle; borough'. (The OED thinks it may be a half loan translation of Old English burhbrece 'breaking into a castle'. More later.

[Trying to recreate the post with addenda.]

What I was trying to say earlier, which got lost in a flurry of octothorpes and digits, was that it seemed a natural progression to me from 'high place' > 'mountain' > 'hill fort' > 'castle' > 'city'. Then a burglar is somebody who breaks into a castle. Another nice touch is that, the verb that the Anglo-Latin noun burgulator comes from exists in a 13th century document: burgulare 'to burgle'. (Though the modern burgle is a back-formation of burglar.) So, the burg of burglar seems connected to Berg 'mountain' and Burg 'castle' of German, but the big question mark has got that l in its sights. Whence and whither?

Latin burgus 'castle' and Greek πυργος (purgos) 'castle' are borrowings from a Germanic language. Cf. Gothic baurgs. And many of the etymologists I consulting pointed out that Urartian (an agglutinative non-Semitic, non-Indo-European language of ancient Anatolia) has burgana 'palace'.

At this point, in the old and lost post, I mentioned that it's intriguing that Russian has гора (gora) 'mountain' and город( gorod) 'city', though these words are from different roots.

Last edited by zmjezhd; 07/17/09 02:27 AM.