This subject is vast and a difficult one to explain in a few sentences but I will try. This phrase springs from the fact that we live in a patriarchy, and through advertising, mass media, films, and institutions such as schools or "fashion design manufacturers" we have all, to some degree internalized "the male gaze".

Our patriarchy by terms of definition is misogynist and also happens to be racist. The male gaze is a series of reference points for straight white males that have been manipulated and sculpted using living women as their medium of art. Freud's nephew of all people, started to work with advertisers sometime in the 1930's (I believe) in order to reach the consumer's unconscious. They used female archetypes and constructed "femininity" in order to sell merchandise and these idea were then conflated with actual living people and real women.

The "male gaze" has been internalized by everyone in this patriarchy, not just women. It is the default POV for all people, all media, and all art forms- for all things created by and for the patriarchy. When something is designated as "female" or "feminine" it must be in a special category.

Much like racism was legally institutionalized in this culture until recently, the male POV is institutionalized to an over-arching degree. Some examples of institutionalized racism are segregation in the armed forces, in schools, in housing, in job opportunities, in professional sports and in miscegenation marriages. Many of these laws have been over-turned, yet our schools have never been more segregated, our housing is largely segregated and racism, like institutionalized misogyny, is still the default practice in our society, President Obama not withstanding.

The LGTBQ community is now fighting for their civil rights, much like the black community fought for theirs, however laws can be changed but people's prejudices remain.

Women serving in the armed forces in two declared wars the US is involved in are more at risk for rape and assault from their fellow soldiers than they are from any foreign enemy. These are facts, and can be checked. Feel free.

When women try to become these imaginary constructs they are filled with self-loathing when they inevitably fail. Men are trained to think that only one type of representation of women is attractive, and that above all, the most highly valued trait in a woman is her appearance. It is of utmost importance in this culture to be young, to be thin, and to be beautiful.
When a woman fails at these things, she fails at life. When she achieves these things , she is most likely to be raped, attacked or slut-shamed. (Look at some rape statistics for yourself)

I am amazed that you did not get a better answer on this site. I suggest you, and anyone else who didn't know the answer, look at Feminism 101, as useful blog for people who have never heard of the male gaze.

The male gaze actually effects you and everyone every day of your life in this country, whether you know it or not. You don't have to be female, a feminist, or aware of it for it to effect you, so isn't it better to know what is at play behind the machinations of your society?

Hope this helps. Two invaluable blogs;
-Feminism 101
-The Masculine Mystique

I Blame the Patriarchy (but this if for advanced readers)

Last edited by piewackett; 07/01/09 11:21 PM.