EDIT 2: "Mata Hari" actually means sun, not sunrise. So everywhere that I've written sunrise just replace it with sun. Thanks for the help with that Bingley.

'Mata Hari' means 'sunrise' in Indonesian. It would probably literally translate to something like "eye of the day" or something, 'mata' being the word for 'eye' and 'hari' being the word for 'day'. Just thought people might be interested (sorry about starting a new topic for this, there was no topic on the word at the time as far as I know, unless I am working the forums wrong and it was hiding somewhere).

EDIT: Not sure if this is also relevant, but the word mata is also used to say what subjects are being studied, i.e. "mata pelajaran saya..." I think would translate roughly to "the subjects of my studies..., ("saya meaning "my," "pelajaran," being "studies (I think)". I'm not sure about this one, or how "mata" fits in. Maybe if there's someone who's done more than just high school Indonesian here they will be able clarify?)Just thinking that if there's another meaning of "mata" it could change the literal translation of "sunrise."

Last edited by Mit; 06/10/09 03:57 AM.