Like Jackie and BYB, i too have an old fashioned fireplace, and the last of my good aged oak lying there waiting for an occation. Once its gone, i only have maple left to burn--

Unlike BYB-- i don't buy wood-- there are enough trees pruned or cut down or blown down in storms to keep me in wood-- it just means hauling it away, drying it, and splitting-- yet another reason not to have fires too often. Most of my maple has only been drying for a year, and has another year or so before it is fully seasoned. I do have one oak log (about 30" in diameter left) but i have to split it to use. One of these days....

and as for the cat-- good riddance! I finally got my daughter to take her cat back in November -- she had moved out 22 months before that, and i hated having a cat!

BYB--watch for local highway improvements. They are adding a HOV lane to I-495 (long island Expressway) and have cut down many of the weed trees that have grown up-- and some very nice ones too. the contractor cut the logs into 2 to 3 foot sections, and stacked it-- with a sign free fire wood. It went quickly! and i am sure he saved some money on carting fee's.