Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Okay, I was at a doctor appt. after 2 of my boys had positive strep tests. This was a couple of days later, and I'd had a low-grade fever the day before, and a sore patch developed in my throat. The doc told me he was going to prescribe antibiotics and not bother with a test because of the research indicating most people with family exposure who present with symptoms go on to develop strep, so he would prescribe them, [pause], so I offered "prophylactically", but he rejected it, saying, no, "just in case". So here's my question: "prophylactically", in my understanding, means as a preventive measure. I assume his objection was that I was presumed to be infected already, and therefore the treatment couldn't be preventive. Soooo, is there a word that means "just in case" because it probably is the case? Thanks in advance! :0)

Quite a few years ago, I suffered an episode of rheumatic fever while serving in the Air Force in east-slope Colorado which had back then a high incident of RF. When I was cured, my doctors prescribed a daily dosage of penicillin as a prophylactic against a recurrence of RF or an occurrence of an upper respiratory infection for the duration of my active duty service. They also advised me that I should seek to obtain a post-discharge supply of the same for a minimum of six years. There was a divided opinion. The NY Medical Society recommended a lifetime prophylactic whereas the AMA recommended six years. The VA supplied me with the latter. I therefore took same for a total of nine years. The medication was generally effective, especially after my tonsils were removed about two years after the RF episode. They had become permanently enlarged and showed a susceptibility to infection in spite of the penicillin.

Sorry, I am not sure of the proper word for which you are searching although palliative might be appropriate.