I, too, have climbed a volcano. This was two years ago in Costa Rica. Volcán Arenal is an active volcano. When we arrived in the town, the top portion of the volcano was obscured by clouds. That afternoon we took an excursion(the only way I would reccomend climbing an active volcano) that led us through the forest and up the mountain. It started calmly enough. A nice walk through the forest. Then we reached a point where the path began to get steeper and slicker, due to obsidian-like sand. The final stretch was boulder-hopping at its finest. Each boulder had a rough, ground glass quality that would skin you alive if you slipped and fell. Quite the incentive to step carefully. Did I mention it was dark by then? When we reached the farthest point recommended for climbing, we were politely asked to not risk the Red Cross rescue teams that would have to go in and retrieve our bodies if we wished to get a closer look. The cloud cover was still holding and we could hear boulders smashing down the mountain. Occasionally the clouds would lift and we could see the lava shooting toward the sky. All in all, it was quite impressive. Our tour ended at the resort at the bottom of the mountain that had pools fed by hot springs and a swim up bar. Best way I know to ease the overworked muscles. Anyone contemplating a trip to Costa Rica should try it. I give it A 92.