interstesting stales-- i have heard these odd boulders called glacial erratics .

there are some famous ones locally ..On Long island, Shelter Rock, give its name to a town and road.. in the bronx, in the Bronx zoo "the rocking stone" and other rocking stone in westerchester county. Faldage, do you kniow of any? I can't think that there would be three i know.. and none up your way..

both of the rocking stones are huge-- the bronx one is a over 2 meters on each side, (it it more a less a cube..) and it sits on an outcropping of gniess.. and if touch, and pushed at just the right point, it will move an inch or two, fall back, and rock back and forth a few times..

its well know.. and when the zoo expanded, special care was taken not to disturb it. it sits just outside the World of Darkness building.. the second one, is harder to rock.. and is less than a mile from the Cross county shopping center.. everytime some one wants to develop the land its sits on, local geologists, native americans and general NIMBY's get up in arms and demand it be preserved.. so far, they have won.

glacial erratics in souther michigan pointed explorers to look for copper in norther MI, many of them had copper.. some geologist think that there are richer copper deposits in canada, and that the copper bearing rocks are from further north still..